Sunday, October 11, 2015

Dialogue in the Dark


Nope!  It's really not a mistake.  I meant to post this picture.  This was our view in one of the most unique "museums" I have ever experienced.  I say "experienced" because it truly was a complete cultural, sensory, and educational experience.  

Today we went to "Dialog Im Dunkeln" (Dialogue in the Dark), also called "Dialog Museum".  Our experience began as we entered into complete darkness holding only our white cane (the special cane used by people who are blind).   Here we met our blind guide, Vadim, who lead us through exhibit after exhibit depicting daily life experiences as if we were blind.  We found ourselves surrounded by the sounds of crowded sidewalks, stepped off the curb to cross the street using the auditory cues that indicated the cars were stopped, walking across the plush ground of the forest floor, feeling our way past a trickling waterfall, stepping onto a boat for a blind river ride, taking a penalty kick on the soccer field, selecting our fruits by touch and smell at the grocery store, even ordering and paying for a beer at a real bar served by a blind bartender!  

I got to know the other 5 people in our group well based on the sound of their voice and, believe it or not, their smell!  Interestingly enough, we didn't really introduce ourselves before going into the darkness, but we quickly became familiar with one another as we reached for each other's hands, felt around for the body position of the person in front of us, and guided each other through each exhibit.  We never actually got to see our tour guide, Vadim.  Which is interesting because unlike most of the memories I have of people, I am able to visualize their image, but for Vadim, I can only remember the sound of his voice, his accent, his touch, and his smell.  I guess it is fair this way considering he would have never been able to recall a visual image of what any of us looked like.  

The experience was not without a little humor.  At one point, Vadim lead us (by his voice) over to a parked car.  By feeling it, we were able to identify it (after about 8 other guesses) as a Mini Cooper.  At that point, Vadim asked us a very simple question, "What color is the car?"  To which Fritz answered, "Black!" 

As we made our way through the darkness, it was interesting to observe how the body physically adjusts to the lack of vision.  Initially, I felt very unstable and I realized how much I depend on my eyes for balance.  My sense of hearing was the first to immediately kick in.  Aside from the way the ground felt beneath my feet and whatever my hand could reach, my ears were the main indication of what was going on in the world around me.  Fritz pointed out, and I agreed, that as we walked through, our postures changed, caring less about standing tall and more about getting into a position that would be optimal for understanding our surroundings with our other senses.  I found that even though I knew I was in absolute darkness, my eyes continued to try to pick up light or some kind of visual as we walked.  They didn't want to give up!  I asked Vadim if he keeps his eyes opened or closed.  He reminded me that when we close our eyes, a signal is sent to the brain that we are going to sleep.  Therefore, as long as he is awake, he keeps his eyes open.  

Overall, it was a terrific experience and provided a perspective I did not previously have.  

2 comments: