Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Frankfurt Zoo

I think the last time I was at a zoo was for my 1st grade field trip to Turtleback Zoo in New Jersey.  Fritz, similarly had not been to the zoo in a very long time.  When he and I registered our address with the German government (because you have to do that when you move to Germany), they gave us a very nice welcome book, which included a zoo coupon!  We figured we'd put it to use and spent Saturday afternoon mingling with the animals! 

I have to say, the Germany zoo was much like my memory of an American zoo.  Animals in artificial habitats, ice cream carts, lots of little kids, great gift shop, etc.  The main difference is that all the signs were written in German so I didn't understand any of the written animal explanations.  Then again, I guess this made my experience even more similar to my 1st-grade zoo trip as once again, I couldn't read any of the signs.  




We arrived just in time for a seal show.  These guys did a bunch of cute tricks in exchange for fish tossed by their zoo keeper friend. 

Caution: Rhino "spritzes" into the audience

That was a real sign.  And no, we did not get peed on by the rhino.  Thank goodness. 


MONKEYS!!!


We stayed until the zoo was closed and they literally kicked us out.  There is something totally wonderful about just watching animals.  I could have walked around for another 3 hours, just studying the animals' movements.  But there is a complicated balancing act I have to do in my mind while walking around looking at all of these beautiful creatures.  My first instinct is to be totally in awe of them.  There is a child-like fascination I have when I am able to be "this close to a real tiger!" Shortly after that feeling, an immobilizing sadness kicks in, and my heart breaks for the animal that will never know true freedom or what it means to actually be a "wild animal."  And then I rationalize and wonder if that really matters since the animal was likely born in captivity, and probably will never understand what he is missing.  Perhaps his life is better than it would have been in the wild considering he is fed every day, he lives without the threat of starvation or being hunted down, and maybe he is just as fascinated by his human visitors as the humans are by him.  I'm reminded of the terrific novel, The Life of Pi, which makes a really convincing argument in favor of zoos.  If you haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it, and not just for its stance on zoos.  Anyway, unable to fully rectify the fact that these animals have been transplanted from their natural place of origin and put on display for curious humans, I try not to think too hard about the injustice of it and appreciate the incredible animals in front of me.  It really is a beautiful thing just to watch the ears of a zebra twitch while she listens to a boisterous crowd, and the graceful majesty of a tiger as he paces the perimeter of his enclosure, and a mother chimp as she caresses and cuddles her precious baby.  

3 comments:

  1. That Zebra picture is full of win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to be clear, no Schlenker childhood would be complete without several trips to zoos! Now I am not sure of your age for all of these and I will give you the fact that you were young, but you have been to the PopCorn Zoo in South Jersey, the Philadelphia Zoo, the National Zoo,Turtleback Zoo with family as well as first grade and the Bronx Zoo! Animals and Schlenkers have always been together! That is probably why baby dolls were never a real interest of yours, but don't ever mess with or say anything about your stuffed animal collection!

    ReplyDelete