Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sondern Lebe Deinen Traum in Bad Homburg

The first thing you should know is that it is pronounced Bod Homberg and "Bad" means bath in German.  Bad Homburg is a small German town located about 45 minutes north from where Fritz and I live.  This historical stop is best known for it's medically used mineral waters and its spa.  There are actually little water fountains in some of the parks and you can drink the mineral water.  I watched someone else take a sip, so when the fountain was clear I snuck over and tasted it too.  Not realizing it was going to be "special" water and regretted my decision immediately.  This happened before I knew Bad Homberg had healing mineral water so when I was expecting cold, clean water and got fizzy, metallic water, I was a bit shocked.  It helps if you're prepared for the healing powers of Bad Homberg.  Anyway, rich people used to (and still do) come here for healing at the spa, fresh air, and leisurely walks through the many beautiful parks.  Consequently, it happens to be one of the wealthiest districts in Germany.

Pictured above is the famous Bad Homburg Spa

Fritz and I came here because the university that Fritz is associated with had a "History of Capitalism" conference here today.  The university has a satellite building just behind the Spa.  I didn't spend too much time there since I was way too busy exploring the rest of the town, but for the short period that I was in the building, someone brought me wine!!

Wine and knitting in a private study with soft leather couches.  
Does anyone really need anything else?

As I mentioned, I spent most of the day doing one of my all-time favorite things- walking around a new city and taking pictures.  


There was a central shopping street several blocks long that was closed to motor vehicles.  A public market was set up in various spots along the street with vendors selling fresh veggies, flowers, cheese, and of course sausage!  



A statue in a central square

I had to snap a photo of the German soldiers casually walking through the market. 

There is a famous bridge that crosses over the town and connects the shopping area to the lower, more residential part of the town. 


In the background is a tower from the bridge


Some of the gardens and parks were easy to find and very public, but this one seemed a bit of a secret.  I stumbled on it by walking through a random parking lot that was surrounded by a stone wall.  Cut into the wall was an opening with a blue gate.  When I walked through, I found a Secret Garden!

More of the Secret Garden

The main park which is more or less in the center of town is probably where I spent most of the day.  It's quite large with trails running throughout.  Our visit to Bad Homburg came at a perfect time as it seems to be peak foliage season here! 


At the top of the park is this beautiful little establishment.  I learned that it is a Russian Chapel called All Hallows' Church.  Construction of this Eastern Orthodox church began in October of 1896 and lasted about 3 years.  


 Many quiet ponds were scattered throughout the park. 


When you have a tree-lined path on your mind, you just need to explore.  
(And also take double exposure photos)

Apples!

I was told Bad Homburg is the home to many older or retired people and is therefore a bit slow-moving.  I found it to be busy enough and I was happy to see the parks full of happy couples walking hand-in-hand. 

This Thai garden pavilion was sent by King Chulalongkorn of Siam in 1914 as a thank you for a successful cure.

As the day grew late and afternoon crept up on me, I thought it would be nice to find a quiet cafe to sit and read for a while until Fritz's conference let out.  Having walked the entire city several times over, I knew exactly where I wanted to go.  

I had passed Espressobar Ernesto twice already in my wanderings, peering in through the windows but choosing to continue my explorations while the day was still young.  But now, with many miles and plenty of photos behind me, I was ready to settle in for a soothing latte macchiato and a good book.  

I was greeted by a kind and cheerful woman named Rita, who turned out to be the owner of Espressobar Ernesto.  This colorful and quaint little establishment was everything I could have hoped for in a cafe.  It had cozy corners, local art hanging on the walls, an outside patio with tall trees providing a natural canopy, plenty of candles and plants scattered throughout, soft music playing in the background, lovely homemade treats, and great coffee.  Perfect!  

As I sat and read, Rita checked on me from time to time and eventually confessed that she had spotted me passing her shop earlier in the day.  She was kind to speak to me in English and told me that her cafe was named after her father, Ernesto, whose portrait was hanging on the wall.  I told her I loved her shop.  The energy of the quiet cafe was enriching and Rita's spirit and hospitality made the perfect conclusion to my afternoon.  She was appreciative of the compliment and informed me that she often hosts events.  In fact, there will be live music this coming Saturday.  

She asked what I do for work and I explained what an Occupational Therapist does, though I told her that I wasn't licensed to work in Germany.  At some point after that, Rita asked me if I wanted to help at her shop during the event on Saturday.  A job!  Does she really want to give me, non-German-speaking Amanda, a job?!?  How cool!  I don't know what she would want me to do exactly or even if the offer was totally sincere, though she seemed genuinely interested in having me come back to her cafe.  She gave me her card and as I was leaving she said with a kind smile, "I think we will see each other again." 

Later I visited her website.  On the home page is this quote: 
"Träume nicht dein Leben, sondern lebe deinen Traum!" 
Do not dream your life, live your dream!

I think I should contact her.

My new friend Rita at Espressobar Ernesto

No comments:

Post a Comment