Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Our Neighborhood

As Fritz and I have gotten a bit more settled into our neighborhood, it's become clear that the area where we spent our first week in Frankfurt (at Mikko's house) was quite exceptional.  I don't mean to say that the rest of Frankfurt is ugly, it's just not quite as lovely as I might have originally thought.



This is the view from our 4th-floor window.  By the way, in Germany they don't count the ground floor as the 1st floor, so we actually live on the 5th floor... and there is no elevator.  On days when I'm feeling bad that I don't belong to a gym, I just do the laundry... the washing machines are in the basement.  Workout accomplished!

It's nice to be on the 4th/5th floor though.  We get more natural light coming into our apartment, there is a view of leafy trees, and the roofline across from us is kind of pretty.  And we only have 2 suitcases each so it's not like moving in and out is really all that difficult.


This view is one block from our apartment and it is the road we walk to get to the main train station just up the street.  You can see two rounded buildings up the road.  That's the main train terminal where the long-distance trains roll in.  The U-Bahn (that's the subway) is also located under that building.  


Another view of the train station as we get closer.  My favorite part is all the power lines.  They really give the neighborhood an industrial-chic vibe that is all the rage these days.  The big rectangular building with the clock on it is some kind of train control tower.

Although it might not be beautiful, it is very convenient to be so close to public transportation.  We basically make this walk every day at least once.  Fritz takes the U-Bahn to class and I take it to... where ever I want really.  Sometimes I go to outdoor markets where I get local ingredients for our dinner.  Sometimes I go to the knitting store for a new ball of yarn (neither of us brought hats here so I've been busy fixing our hat-less problem).   Sometimes I go to Zeil where all the shopping is and walk around the busy stores filled with the latest German fashion (mostly clunky black slip-on boots and colorful sweater-ponchos).  Sometimes I go to coffee shops like I did today where I drink a latte macchiato while writing a new blog post or reading a book.

It's a pretty good life!  I still can't speak much German and it's becoming clear that I probably won't get that far.  Not to be a defeatist.  I don't feel sorry for myself or anything.  I just don't think I'll be here long enough or around people who don't automatically switch to English as soon as the glazed look of "I-have-no-idea-what-you-just-said" comes over my eyes.  It's ok.  The language barrier just enhances the adventure and provides a new obstacle to my otherwise carefree existences.

4 comments:

  1. It is so relaxing not knowing what people are saying. I felt like I observed so much more not being distracted by people's conversation. I cried when I got back to America and could understand everyone...and all people were saying were complaints about the lines at customs. It was so sad. Enjoy the peace of having no idea what people are complaining about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s i think it just published my comment as "risky" instead of "Fisky". Autocorrect. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really beautiful point! There are some advantages to not knowing what people are talking about... you miss all the negativity! Thanks Fisky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete